Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Presents a community forum for all Honda and non Honda fanatics...

2 posters

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step

corsa-wp
    corsa-wp

Number of posts : 38
    Rider Points : 64
    Street Rep : 0
    Registration date : 2009-03-23

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step Empty Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step

Post  corsa-wp Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:37 pm

Over the next few weeks I'm going to go over all the steps that I follow while building one of my turbo manifolds. I'm always being asked just how I build them, and I've never seen an in-depth write-up on how to make one, so now you're getting one. I will be making this manifold during my break time at work, so progress will be slow, but you will have a complete guide to building a manifold.

Day 1: Prepping the Materials
    On the first day I gathered all the materials that I will be using in this manifold and prepared to clean them all. This is a very important step if you want to have a professional quality manifold.

Here is a 90 degree 304SS elbow as I receive them from my supplier. It has ink on the surface along with oils and grease residue from shipping. This will need to be cleaned with acetone to have a good base for the next step.

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step Ko043

Here we see the elbow after having been wiped down with acetone. The surface if free of any contaminates, but is not the most appealing, so a mechanical cleaning step will need to be used. This will bring out the luster and beauty of the stainless steel, but will also allow for very nice coloring to be seen after the parts have been welded together.

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step Ko044

This is the elbow in its final cleaning phase, and is ready to accept a clean weld. There are many different ways to obtain a finish similar to this on the elbows, but mine remains a trade secret.

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step Ko045

Here we have the stainless steel pipe that we will use to make both the collector and parts of the runners in our manifold. This too is covered in ink and oil so it must be clean.

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step Ko048

After cleaning not much of a difference is seen, but DO NOT skip this step. You will kick yourself later if you do.

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step Ko049

And here is the part after going through a mechanical cleaning step. This is the one process that really makes the parts shine.

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step Ko050

Next we will move onto the flanges in the build. No matter how clean you think the flanges may be, do yourself the favor and clean them again. When I first started making manifolds this was one of the biggest mistakes I made. Assuming that the flanges were clean because they were already shiny.

Here is the head flange followed by the turbo inlet flange.

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step Ko054

I just happened to take a picture of a B series flange that I had on me, but I will be building a manifold for a SR20DET.

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step Ko055

If you are not gong to use the parts you just cleaned right away make sure you store them in a clean location. Here are a lot of the parts being put away for tomorrow.

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step Ko046

Now I just so happened to have a little more time today than expected so I started to cut my collector. There are a million ways to do this, and a million different jigs to use, so I'll leave it up to you to figure this out of your own, but I will give you a tip. When cutting your pipe I’ve found that after the first cut you have to rotate the pipe just beyond 90 degrees. For some reason if you rotate the part exactly 90 degrees the collector doesn't meet up cleanly.
    Here is just one of the four parts to my collector.

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step Ko051

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step Ko052

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step Ko053

And that’s all for today. Tomorrow I will try to finish my collector and will so you how I prep it for welding and the techniques used to do so.

A teaser of two manifolds that I'm working on. At this stage I’m just adding wastegates to the manifolds. The far manifold has an interesting location, it should work out nicely.

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step Ko037

And the end result of the process. It may take a little longer to go through all the steps, but it is definitely worth it.

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step Picture008

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step Picture002

1. prepping the elbow. to make it look like this simply use a SS wire brush (known the trade as a power brush) in a drill press. and run it on a med speed. manually run the elbows around the spiingin wire wheel. we do this to all our elbows here
    2. making the collector. there have been several threads here that showed this in the past. basically 3 methods. band saw, abrasive saw, or mill. you need ot make a jig. you need to figure out what angle you want your collector to be. make first cut, rotate, make 2nd cut. ( heres a BIG hint-the 2nd cut is a ghost cut)

Haven't had time to go over collector making, but I will be doing it tomorrow. In the meantime, heres a little update from the last manifold and a friends car I am building.

ready to cut then weld:

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step Ko039

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step Okk006

And my friends car. I've built the engine and head, as well as fabbed up the IC piping, turbo manifold, and piecut downpipe. Hope you like.

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step Okk018

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step Okk008

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step Okk012

And the manifold prior to install (BTW, its an old manifold being modified):

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step Ko041

Well I finally pushed through and completed another manifold today, so I was able to document the entire process. I had to take the day off to do so, but I think it was worth it. Today I will show you how I cut and prep the collector for welding, Enjoy!

Here I am going to show you the jig I made for my chop saw. I am going to assume that the most commonly available cutting tool for the amateur fabricator is a chop saw, so I’m demonstrating with it.

Here is the Jig, it is very simple, allows for infinite angles and depths of cut, and seems to work just fine for the application.

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step 1

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step 2

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step 4

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step 5

Here is a piece of pipe loaded in the jig. As you can see I’ve marked where the end of the pipe rests so that all four pipes will be the same. Once it has been loaded the first cut can be made.

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step 6

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step 8

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step 9

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step 10

The next step will either make or break your collector. You must turn the pipe just slightly past 90 degrees in order to create a collector that merges correctly. I will explain more now.

Here is the pipe turned:

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step 11

This would be a 90 degree turn as being shown by the perfectly level surface from the previous cut, this is not ideal.

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step 12

Here you see the ideal angle to cut, just slightly more than 90 degrees. You can see that the bubble in the bullet level is off to the right.

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step 13

And here is the pipe after making the cut:

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step 14

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step 15

a few more pieces:

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step 16

Here you can see what you are trying to avoid. While the collector looks very close to being perfect, light can be seen from underneath. If you have this problem it simply means you need to turn your pipe slightly more the next time you cut a collector. This piece is still salvageable; it’s just going to take a little more time to reach a perfect fit.

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step 18

Wow, I feel like I kinda over-killed my jig. But for me it was easier to CNC two halves of Plastic to hold the pipe at the right angles. I didn't cut the jig with a band saw, it came off the cnc as pictured. The pictures tell the story.

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step IMG_2378_JPG

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step IMG_2384_JPG

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step IMG_2395_JPG

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step IMG_2398_JPG

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step IMG_2404_JPG

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step IMG_2406_JPG

Well i'm slacking on finishing this thread, but heres a bump and a promise to finish it within the next two months

And heres one of my 1.8t manifolds after 1 hour of driving time. Pulled while removing the trans, byby 3rd gear... and then 1st gear

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step 1-4
    Honda_Mad
    Honda_Mad

Number of posts : 237
    Rider Points : 430
    Street Rep : 8
    Registration date : 2009-03-17

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step Empty Re: Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step

Post  Honda_Mad Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:03 am

I'd love 2 do this one day!
    corsa-wp
    corsa-wp

Number of posts : 38
    Rider Points : 64
    Street Rep : 0
    Registration date : 2009-03-23

Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step Empty Re: Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step

Post  corsa-wp Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:33 pm

I started building a manifold for my buddies car. I will post pics of it when its done. Once I am done with his I will start on building one for my car. I am just busy getting the flanges cut.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:25 am